The End, part 1 is the first part of the last chapter of the story in Return of the Obra Dinn. In the narrative, it is the first memory presented to the player, and reveals the fate of First Mate William Hoscut.
After an indeterminate amount of time has passed since the last lifeboat left the ship, Hoscut, Brennan, and Walker all plan a mutiny. Hoscut and Brennan are at the door to the captain's quarters and threaten to break in to take shells Captain Witterel supposedly has. Captain Witterel refuses and promptly shoots Hoscut down.
Things of interest
- The memory allows the inspector to deduce the identity of captain Witterel, as Hoscut uses the term captain to address the person he threatens.
- Although the game states otherwise, William Hoscut can already be identified through his uniform and Scottish accent, as the only other Scottish officer is the purser, who would not have worn a uniform (as the story is set before 1807).
- All other characters remain unknown.
- Topman Lewis Walker can be seen getting up to the quarterdeck to attack the captain from behind. He dies trying in The End, part 3.
- Unlike most other memories in the game, the player's vision after the dialogue is set on someone other than the person dying.
This memory is accessed via a skeleton on the main deck, next to the ship's wheel. The exit is on the main deck towards the front of the ship on the starboard side.
The stern of the main deck, the quarterdeck, and one of the passenger cabins can be accessed. Captain's quarters are partially visible but blocked by the captain in the doorway.
- [Hoscut] X "Captain! Open the door..."
- [Brennan] "Kick it in!"
- [Hoscut] X "...lest we break it down... ...and take more than those shells."
- [Witterel] "You bastards may take... ...exactly what I give you."