A crab rider invades the orlop deck and uses its mount's pincers to grab Wallace and Zhang by their necks. Hershtik then throws his lantern at the crab rider to set it on fire.
Things of interest
- The identity of Topman Omid Gul can be deduced based on this part and The Doom, part 2. In this diorama, Gul has the scimitar that is also hanging by his hammock (#36) later.
- The lantern thrown by Midshipman Charles Hershtik will ignite the crab rider as seen in the next part
- Ship's Steward Zungi Sathi can be seen with a spike jutting from his back. He will die from friendly fire in Soldiers of the Sea, part 7.
- Midshipman Thomas Lanke is knocked against the fence of a pen where A Bitter Cold, part 3 took place. This explains why the pen is broken in the real time of the narrative.
This memory is accessed via two bodies on the cargo hatch covers on the orlop deck.
Portions of the orlop deck and the gun deck from the fore mast to the main mast are accessible. The exit is by the main mast on the orlop deck.
- [O'Farrell] "We're no use! Burn it quick!"