For a reason not explained in the narrative, five people aboard the Obra Dinn are launching the only remaining ship's boat (the other having been destroyed by the kraken in The Doom, part 7) in an attempt to leave the ship. Moss gets Surgeon Henry Evans, passengers Emily Jackson and Jane Bird, and Fourth Mate's Steward Davey James on board the boat when topman Leonid Volkov catches them and attacks. Captain Witterel, joined by First Mate William Hoscut, seaman Henry Brennan, and topman Lewis Walker, intervene and order Volkov to let the group go. Despite this, Volkov stabs Moss in the left side of his chest, killing him.
Meanwhile, Fourth Mate John Davies and Gunner's Mate Olus Wiater can be seen talking in the officers' mess, next to the body of Bosun Alfred Klestil, with Midshipman Thomas Lanke eavesdropping by the doorway.
Things of interest
- The identity of First Mate's steward Paul Moss can be deduced as his first name is mentioned in the dialogue and he is the only Paul in the crew manifest.
- Topman Lewis Walker looks as if he is trying to cut the rigging on the starboard side of the main deck. This could be an attempt to retrieve or remove the body of topman Timothy Butement, as the rope being cut is the same one that wrapped around his leg upon his death.
- The ring on passenger Emily Jackson's finger is clearly visible in this diorama.
- Dialogue from part 4 also covers this part's events on the gun deck.
This memory is accessed via a body on the port side on the poop deck.
The aft portions of the main deck and the gun deck from the stern to the main-mast are accessible. The exit is on the port side of the main mast on the main deck.
- [Moss] X "Last one. Move quick."
- [Volkov] "Oy! You'll not take the last boat!"
- [Jackson] "Paul! Look out!"
- [Witterel] "Stop! Let them go!"
- [Jackson] "No!"
- [Moss] X "Damn."